Martin Reads is a community campaign to ensure that students are reading at grade-level by 3rd grade.
Why is reading on grade-level important?
• Before 3rd grade children learn to read, after 3rd grade they read to learn.
• Children who can’t read on grade-level by the end of third grade are four times more likely to not graduate from high school.
• 74% of children who fail to read proficiently by the end of third grade falter in the later grades and often drop out before earning a high school diploma.
• Every student who doesn’t graduate high school costs society an estimated $260,000 in lost earnings, taxes and productivity.
• Studies show children who don’t graduate high school earn 40% less annually than peers who do graduate, and at least a whopping 100% less annually than those who earn a bachelor’s degree.
• Reading is the most important skill needed to be successful in life.